Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wanna take a ride?

I didn't get around to listening to Coast to Coast AM and Art Bell until I started driving to work in B'ham around 1998. Although I had been fascinated about UFOs, Bigfoot, and (especially) ghost stories since I was a kid, I had no idea that there was a 4-hour long show that talked about this stuff every night. Tim Lockette told me about it in 1994, but the cavaet was that it came on at 12 in the morning, something I couldn't handle since I had to sleep. But, after '98, and getting up for work at 4 am, I began to catch the replay of the show on the way to work, along with Dave Nemo's trucking show.

Art Bell (and later, George Noory, who replaced Bell after several retirements) also talked about vast conspiracies, which I had a hankerin' for at the time (and still do, although I'm not as gullible as I was in my early 20's). What I loved most of all, however, was the bumper music, or the songs that introduce and exit each segment before and after commercial breaks. Some I knew, like "Wicked Game" and "The Mummer's Dance". Most were new to me: "Ride my See-Saw" by the Moody Blues and "Some Velvet Morning" with Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood.

George's selection is more varied, but when Art came back for weekends (and I was able to record some of his shows thanx to a minidisc player and/or a wire linked to my soundcard), his playlist was exact each time. After discovering Limewire, I was able to compile the Definitive Art Bell Original Soundtrack. Hope you all enjoy...

Art Bell OST

(track listing in comments)

1 comment:

Jim Hardy said...

track listing for Art Bell OST:

1. "Midnight Express" - Giorgio Moroder

2. "It's a Beautiful Day" - White Bird

3. "Don't Fear the Reaper" - BOC (more cowbell!)

4. "Wicked Game" - Chris Isaak

5. "Ride my See-Saw" - Moody Blues

6. "Riders on the Storm" - Doors

7. "The Mummer's Dance" - Loreena McKinnitt

8. "Boom-Boom-Ba" - Metisse

9. "Nights in White Satin" - Moody Blues

10. "Don't Leave Me this Way" - Thelma Houston

11. "Year of the Cat" - Al Stewart

12. "Some Velvet Morning" - Nancy and Lee

13. "I'm in You" - Frampton

14. "Inca Dance" - Cusco

songs are in exact order as he played them throughout the show, as well.