Saturday, July 19, 2008

Story of our Lives, vol. 0.5, part the first

After reviving the old 'Story' series and trying to reconstruct it in mp3-cd format, I decided to search my memory (and some of my old tapes from junior high school) and recreate what I had recorded off of Q104, 92J, and I-95 (local radio stations) back in the day. Most were the usual hits: Prince, Culture Club, Simple Minds, Cyndi Lauper, etc. However, there were a few gems that might have been more familiar to someone living in a more "hip" town, but in backwoods Alabama, they might have been considered 'punk' (according to the conservative tastes of my peers) or 'strange': Baltimora's 'Tarzan Boy', Bronski Beat's 'Smalltown Boy', Adam Ant. Hell, even Prince was considered a freak at my high school, which had the highest levels of homophobia (which I was half-way part of, since I didn't know any better, and if anyone was gay at our school, they sure didn't tell anyone there) and teen auto fatalities.

Anyway, here's a few files for those who might want to hear what I was playing on my Sears boombox back in '84 and '85.

Night Tracks (late '83-'84; named after the TBS knockoff of MTV; I grew up in the only part of Calhoun County that didn't have cable, so I could watch this via a TV antenna booster on channel 17)

Avanti-Omni (1984; named after the cheap 3 for $1 tapes that I used to buy at Big B drugs before I learned about sound fidelity. At the time, all I cared about was getting the song on tape for my boombox and/or Walkman)

Sony-Nitetime (1984-85; moved up to Sony tapes in '85. Nitetime is named for certain songs that I remember being played on Q104 right before I went to sleep at night. With the lights out, the only illumination was the red led meter.)

Band Bus (these are much larger):
Frosh (1985-86; my freshman year and first year in the marching band. We played music when we went to away games and competitions and my boombox was the loudest we had, so I played DJ even when I was 14)

Soph (1986-1987; sophomore (and last) year in the band.

(track listings in comment section)

Enjoy! If any questions, just shoot a comment.

(I know the Frosh file is big - 226 megs - but if you download anything, grab that one first; the sheer breadth of pop music from '85 to '86 is worth it)

1 comment:

Jim Hardy said...

Night Tracks
1 When Doves Cry - Prince
2 Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
3 Sunglasses at Night - Corey Hart
4 Panama - Van Halen
5 Round and Round - RATT
6 Cruel Summer - Bananarama
7 Sister Christian - Night Ranger
8 Here comes the Rain again - Eurythmics
9 The Glamorous Life - Sheila E
10 Go Insane - Lindsey Buckingham
11 Infatuation - Rod Stewart
12 The Warrior - Scandal
13 Run to You - Bryan Adams
14 Rock me Tonight - Billy Squire
15 Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
16 Boys of Summer - Don Henley

Avanti-Omni
1 Let's Go Crazy - Prince
2 Miss Me Blind - Culture Club
3 Let the Music Play - Shannon
4 Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
5 It's a Miracle - Culture Club
6 Billie Jean - Jacko
7 99 Luftballons (the germenglish version) - Nena
8 Say Say Say - Paul/Jacko
9 Jungle Love - The Time
10 Pink Houses - John Cougar Mellencamp
11 Desert Moon - Dennis DeYoung
12 Against All Odds - Phil Collins
13 They don't Know - Tracey Ullman
14 Wrapped around your Finger - Police
15 I'll Tumble 4 U - Culture Club
16 Some Guys have all the Luck - Rod Stewart

Sony
1 Smooth Operator - Sade
2 Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
3 Self Control - Laura Branigan
4 Method of Modern Love - Hall and Oates
5 Mornin' - Al Jarreau
6 Sugar Walls - Sheena Easton
7 Rhythm of the Night - DeBarge
8 The Bird - The Time

nitetime 84
1 Break my Stride - Matthew Wilder
2 Give It Up - KC and the Sunshine Band
3 Smalltown Boy - Bronksi Beat
4 Automatic - Pointer Sisters
5 Major Tom(coming home) - Peter Schilling
6 Strip - Adam Ant
7 Run Run Away - Slade

frosh
1 Obsession - Animotion
2 West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
3 Naughty Naughty - John Paar
4 Better be Good to Me - Tina Turner
5 Rock Me Amadeus (Salieri Mix)
6 Lover Boy - Billy Ocean
7 Out of Touch - Hall and Oates
8 Lovin' Every Minute of It - Loverboy
9 Some like it Hot - Power Station
10 Careless Whisper - Wham!
11 Take on Me - Ah-Ha
12 Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
13 Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
14 Axel F - Faltermeyer
15 A Love Bizarre - Sheila E
16 Paranoimia - Art of Noise (w/Max Headroom)
17 Party All the Time - Eddie Murphy
18 One Night in Bangkok - Murry Head
19 Your Love - Outfield
20 Money for Nothing - Dire Straits
21 Bop til you Drop - Rick Springfield
22 God (movie version; you know, the song that's played when Prince and Appolonia first get down to bidness) - Prince
23 How to be a Millionaire - ABC
24 Walk This Way - Run DMC w/Aerosmith
25 19 - hardcastle
26 Oh Sheila - Ready for the World
27 No One is to Blame - Howard Jones
28 America - Neil Diamond (this was the first song that we learned for our halftime show in band)
29 Dance Hall Days - Wang Chung
30 Tenderness - General Public
31 Get It On - Power Station

Soph
1 Peter Piper - Run DMC
2 Back in the High Life - Steve Winwood
3 On My Own - Patti LaBelle and Micheal McDonald
4 I didn't mean to turn you on - Robert Palmer
5 I wanna be a Cowboy - Boys don't Cry
6 Higher Love - Steve Winwood
7 The Way It is - Peter Hornsby
8 Shake You Down - Gregory Abbott
9 Always - Atlantic Starr
10 Tender Love - Force MDs
11 I Miss You - Atlantic Starr
12 At this Moment - Billy Vera
13 Human - Human League
14 I can't Wait - Nu Shooz
15 Sleeping Bag - ZZ Top