Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Thunder only happens when its raining..."

There are several albums that you can't really appreciate or even fully understand until you reach a certain age, or, at least, a certain level of maturity. Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is definitely such an album for me. Like Beck's Sea Change, John Mellencamp's The Lonesome Jubilee, and several of Prince's songs, such as "If I was your Girlfriend", "Forever in My Life", and "Adore", certain music requires experience in living. Sure, I remember listening to "Dreams" or "Go Your Own Way" on the radio, both as a kid on 92J and as a teenager on Rock 99 (the 1st 'classic rock' station to come to central Alabama), but they were just great tunes, then. Sign O the Times has been my favorite album since it was released in 1987, but it took growing up and finding out what the Hell Prince meant in some of those songs to understand the music.

Now, after marriage and divorce, cancer and recovery, Rumours means more to me than it ever did when I first bought the album (for a whole dollar at a flea market, on vinyl). "Go Your Own Way"? That's exactly how I felt in 2001. "...When the rain washes you clean... you'll know." Boy, do I ever.





"...Players only love you when you're playing."

Enjoy!

No comments: