Friday, August 15, 2008

The second best album of 1987...

I was aware of U2 before this album came out, or, specifically, before "With or Without You" first played on the radio; some friends of mine in marching band told me about them, around the time The Unforgettable Fire was out, but I didn't invest my lunch money into that record, then (that's how I bought much of my music from 10th grade until 12th; I saved up 7 days of lunch money and had enough to grab the tape on sale at Camelot. When the newest releases were on sale in 1987, they were usually $6.99-7.99).

It was the haunting "With..." that drew me in, plus "I Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For", which fit me to a T, with all the crushes I had going at the time. I got the tape on the Fourth of July, 1987, the same day my mother bought me a Corona electronic typewriter (the equivalent of a word processer in 1992 and Word for Windows nowadays) so I didn't have to write longhand all the time.

This remains my favorite U2 album, with Achtung Baby a fair-to-middlin' second. This is the expanded version that was released a year ago, with b-sides and other misc.





Disc 1





Disc 2

Enjoy!

No comments: